Table of Contents
North Dakota Constitution
- Dakota Territory
- Selected Legislative Manuals and Blue Books
- 1897 Constitution (1897 Session Laws)
Statehood-Era Dictionaries and Treatises Cited in N.D. Court Opinions
- Anderson, A Dictionary of Law (1889)
- Webster's International Dictionary of the English Language (unabridged 1898)
- Webster's Complete Dictionary of the English Language (unabridged 1886)
- Criminal Law and Procedure Treatises
- Joel Prentiss Bishop, Prosecution and Defense, Practical Directions and Forms (1885)
- Samuel Maxwell, A Practical Treatise on Criminal Procedure (1887)
- Francis Wharton, A Treatise on Criminal Pleading and Practice (8th ed. 1880)
- Francis Wharton, A Treatise on Criminal Pleading and Practice (9th ed. 1889)
- Francis Wharton, A Treatise on Criminal Law (9th ed. 1885) (vol 2)
Statehood Era Materials for a General Audience
- Jerod Tufte, The North Dakota Constitution: An Original Approach Since 1889, 95 N.D. L. Rev. 417.
- An Introduction to North Dakota Constitutional Law: Content and Methods of Interpretation, 63 N.D. L. Rev. 157 (1987).
- Summary of significant decisions rendered by North Dakota Supreme Court in 1988 relating to state constitutional law, 64 N.D. L. Rev. 226 (1988).
- Sources of the 1889 North Dakota Constitution, 65 N.D. L. Rev. 331 (1989).
- Digging for Roots: The North Dakota Constitution and the Thayer Correspondence, 65 N.D. L. Rev. 343 (1989).
- The Thayer Correspondence Introductory Note, 65 N.D. L. Rev. 383 (1989).
- Model Constitution (Peddrick Draft #2, 1889) Introductory Note, 65 N.D. L. Rev. 415 (1989).
- The Constitution Is What the Judges Say It Is, 65 N.D. L. Rev. 491 (1989).
- Vance K. Hill, The North Dakota Constitution: The Executive Branch, 48 N.D. L. Rev. 291
- Elwyn B. Robinson, History of North Dakota (2017).
- Ryland Melville Black, History of the State Constitutional Convention of 1889 (1910). (PDF copy)
Readings on State Constitutionalism
- Jeffrey S. Sutton, 51 Imperfect Solutions (2018)
- William J. Jr. Brennan, State Constitutions and the Protection of Individual Rights, 90 Harv. L. Rev. 489, 504 (1977)
- Carpenter, Leonore and Margolis, Ellie, One Sequin at a Time: Lessons on State Constitutions and Incremental Change from the Campaign for Marriage Equality. 75 N.Y.U. Ann. Surv. Am. L. 255 (2020). Available at SSRN
- Justin Long, Intermittent State Constitutionalism
- Christiansen, Originalism: The Primary Canon of State Constitutional Interpretation, 15 Geo. J.L. & Pub. Pol'y 341 (2017)
U.S. Constitution References
Sources for Further Research
reference.txt · Last modified: 2021/09/15 21:46 by admin